Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I couldn't deny it

More than any other I wish I had been present for this one. Unfortunately the only witness was one of my cousins (can't recall if it was Aterill or Le-ee). Whichever cousin it was was living with my parents while going to VC. Only she and my dad were home one day and my dad was doing some handyman work in the attic. I'm not sure if he was trying to repair some general electrical problem or messing with the air conditioner in some way, but the result was a shock and dimming of the lights followed by my dad silently backing down the attic ladder. He walked wordlessly past my cousin, sitting in fearful silence on the living room couch, to the kitchen telephone. He punched seven digits to ring up KB's dad (the owner of the company that installed the AC) and after a few seconds says, in a perfectly businesslike voice, "James, this is John. Me fucky-uppee." My cousin erupted in laughter. So do I every time I picture this.

3 comments:

Ojo Rojo said...

One of the all-time classics. Ironic that none of the sons was there to bear witness. It was April living there at the time and Kate was visiting. So they both witnessed. I think mom was at home too. I just wonder exactly how close dad was to electrocuting himself.

Snake Diggity said...

Agreed, a classic.

I need to bring this up to JB and see if he remembers it. It would be interesting to get an outsider's take on a dadism

Rimas Kurtinaitis said...

I'd love to hear JB's reaction to that call.