Thursday, February 9, 2012

So anyway

1. I am getting old.  My wasted youth haunts me as much as the spectre of future frailty and degeneration.
2. I can't run far enough or fast enough to get any cardio benefit because of my fucking knee.  I've tried 3 different styles of shoes.  I've done months of rehab, stretching and strengthening my core, hips, and thighs.  I've worn a knee brace.  All for naught.  At almost exactly 2.5 miles I start to feel a dull knife slipping into the side of my knee, in and out with each stride.  Sucks my balls.
3. Gray chest hair.  I mean, gray beard is one thing, but gray chest hair?  You have that shit and you are officially Not Young.
4. Read the Hunger Games in one sitting last night.  Poor decision as I finished around 3 a.m.  It was an interesting premise, but in the end, not that great a book.  It's a few notches above fucking Twilight but way below something like Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series.
5. If you have called me in the last few days and haven't heard back it's not my usual ass-hattery.  My phone won't hold a charge more than 4-5 hours these days.  I've ordered a replacement battery hoping to get at least another 6 months out of this phone.
6. I use Linux almost exclusively at home now.  I've even managed to finagle all the needed access to the hospital network from my Linux desktop.  Having said that, I have to say I'm pretty intrigued by Windows 8.  It looks cool, unique, and functional.  If it's not a tremendous resource hog or security risk, I'll probably upgrade to it when I upgrade the computer.
7. If I do that I'll almost certainly also go with a Windows 8 phone when I upgrade.  I'd like to have as seamless a system as possible.  If there are a lot more Ice Cream Sandwich Android phones by the time I do this I'd probably consider it.
8. I don't really have anything against the iPhone or iOS ecosystem, but I'd rather not get invested in the most expensive hardware options.  Also the few places I've been have seemed to find it easier to provide remote access to non-Apple devices.  Maybe that's different at non-academic institutions.
9. I'm giving up college football and taking up  a more useful obsession.  Right now I'm leaning towards urban gardening.  M-star's very concerned I'm going to be hanging old milk jugs all over the place when we move into a house.
10. M-star's great-aunt just died.  Her dad has prostate cancer.  My grandmother is on death's door.  Apparently my grandfather is growing more seriously demented.  Fuck this shit.

1 comment:

Ojo Rojo said...

1. Well, you are getting old, but you didn't waste your youth.
2. I'm afraid this is going to happen to me. I haven't run in a month, but I'm going to test it out soon.
5. We are now Skype-enabled. We need to get the kids on a call.
9. For real? For good, or just the off-season?
10. Bummers. Didn't know about Jeff. This is the one negative of having a big family - we are going to watch a lot of people we care about get old and die.